Tuesday, November 6, 2007

CN and NBSR sightings Nov 6/07



This morning I was driving Saint John Transit's East/West route and I made quite a few trips through Rothesay Avenue. Anytime I travel that way my eyes are always on the look out for trains in the Island Yard. The first thing I noticed was a new CN unit SD70 #8819. The fresh paint job made it stand out quite nicely. As I drove by Brett Chev Olds on Rothesay Ave I realized I could get a nice picture from the parking lot of Brett's. I was working a split shift today so I wanted to get a pic of the new locomotive before it left for Moncton. I finally got out to Brett's to get my photo and when I drove into the parking lot the shot of the locomotive changed. A tank trailer had been parked beside #8819 ruining the shot. So I took two photos anyway, one of the nose and just a wide shot. While taking the photos of #8819 I also noticed a bit of a sad sight. NBSR SW9 #3703 was sitting outside the Island Yard shop all by itself. It looks to be that it might be retired. Although I'm not 100% sure on that but it just doesn't look good. The headlight bulbs are removed. It appears to have some of the glass removed. I have a video of #3703 along with #2610 working the Dever Rd Yard on Aug 14/07. So I would say it was parked shortly after. If anyone has any idea the story of what's to come for this engine I would love to hear it. I will try my best to find out.
It used to be if someone was rail fanning NB Southern in Saint John they would always see the two SW9s #3702-3703 working hard together. I often heard on the scanner the NBSR employees calling the little engines "Huff & Puff." Here are a couple of more pics of #3703 working with it's mate #3702.

4 comments:

Canadian Train Geek said...

I have a photo of 3703 working on September 18, 2007. I don't know any more than that. Maybe they are going to repaint it? :)

NBSRFAN said...

That could be what is going on with it. Or maybe it needs to have some major overhauling done. I'm gonna try my best to find out.

Canadian Train Geek said...

"this just in" - NBSR 3703 is going to be repainted, a few new parts, and a cab makeover.

NBSRFAN said...

Thanks for the info Steve. I have to say I'm glad to hear it. I always liked the SW9s. It'll look nice with a fresh paint job.